View Single Post
      03-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #313
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Here is something I posted under the tuning section, video and dyno charts of the MadDad install.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally was able to put together the video of the install and dyno (performed a week ago) of my MadDad downpipe-back exhaust (center pipe + axelback), coupled with a JB3 PnP (ran on Map 5 and Map 0 on 93 Octane Shell V-Power gas). Need to edit it some more (and perhaps add more Deadmau5 tunes ), but figured I share even in its current form.

Here is what you need to know. I dynoed the car (same DynoJet dyno, same operator, same gas station, same strapping method, same fans, same tires, etc.) fully stock last July. Numbers were 278wtq/283wtq. Not bad, and about what people have been getting of what seems to be a well under-rated 300hp-crank BMW-claimed engine.

The first set of dyno pulls were on the stock exhaust and JB3 Map 5, all else equal (running stock intercooler, airbox, filter, DPs, etc.) Did 3 pulls, all pretty consistent, best numbers were 356whp/372wtq. So net, gains solely attributable to JB3 Map 5 a whopping 77whp/89wtq!

Next, I proceeded to install the MadDad midpipe + axelback. We ran quite a few runs immediately following the install (literally moved from the install bay to the adjacent dyno room so the car went through no real-world adaption). What the next dozen+ pulls indicated is that the ECU was continually learning and adapting. In between every 3-4 pulls we of course allowed for proper cooling. The best (but consistent across many runs) numbers attributable to JB3 Map 5 + MadDad Center Pipe + Axelback were 361+whp/381+wtq. In other words, incrementally MadDad added 5+whp/9+wtq on top of the JB3 gains. Notice this is just peak power! I suspect now that I have ran the car for a bit, the ECU is fully adapted and the exhaust has opened up (the sound is def more pronounced), gains are even better. Also note that gains are pretty uniform across the full RPM band, but it is down low that they are really massive, and in many cases double digit (so comparing peak vs. peak is not telling the full story).

Lastly, we switched the JB3 to Map 0 (basically stock), and did a few pulls which measured gains solely attributable to MadDad DP-back exhaust. The final figures were 281+whp/293+wtq, indicating a gain of 3+whp/10+wtq. Again, these are just peak-to-peak numbers, which are not the most relevant. Observe how much fatter the tq curve is all along the way, but once afain most pronounced down low.

I have superimposed all 4 runs to get a visual. The titles are self explanatory. In summary, money well spent, just with a piggy back and DP-back exhaust, car has gained over 80whp and 100wtq, or around 361+whp/381+whp total! Not bad at all. I figure an intercooler, a drop-in filter, and/or DPs definitely ought to get me in the 400whp club. Next however is the M3 subframe bushings, def need to firm up the ride even more given the added power (the BMW PS has done wonders, but can get further help with a stiffer rear)

In closing, I want to share/reiterate how great of a product the MadDad exhaust is. Craftsmanship is excellent, fit and finish superb, sound characteristics – unique.

YouTube Video here:

Dynocharts:

1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0