View Single Post
      05-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

New Mods - BMWP springs and Bilstien HD's...OUTSTANDING!

Lease is over, I love her so I bought her. Other mods performed along with springs and dampers are: Michelin PSS tires, CDV delete, and HD control arm bushings from HP Autowerks.

It's obviously difficult to quantify the improvements (in comfort, handling and response) attributable to individual components when they are installed at the same time, so I'm reporting on the net result here. My goal was: improved handling with a willingness to sacrifice some ride comfort, improved steering response without going to the M3 component set, and the usual improvement in clutch action gotten when deleting the CDV. My net result?

THIS is how a BMW should come from the factory! 200 miles since picking her up, and my expectations are exceeded. I feel like I am driving a new car. My '09 has factory Sport Package, and 2 years ago I installed a Hotchkis front anti sway which was a big inprovement at the time. At 30K miles the stock dampers had gone floppy and the Michelin PS A/S Plus's reached the end of their service life, just as my lease was ending.

I live in CT and do a lot of driving on our pothole-ridden, frost heaved secondary roads, and did not want a setup which would be harsh or too low. This combination does not lower the car at all. I understand the BMWP suspension kit is supposed to lower by 10mm over the the factory sport package, but perhaps the Bilstien spring perches sit up a bit higher. I've seen several owners here express that they'd like a firmer spring without a drop (me being one of them) and with this combination, you'll get exactly what you want.

In a nutshell, this combination gives an amazing improvement in control on all types of roads, with a firm but definitely-not-harsh ride, and no handling quirks of any kind. Body roll is now negligible. Accellerating out of tight corners previously had the stability control light flashing and the back end doing wierd things. Now there's only smooth, flat acceleration. High-speed stability is much improved - no more bobbing and dancing when hitting the evenly spaced steel strips on the Quinnipiac Bridge, which is a long, high-speed sweeping turn - only composure now. And on those lumpy bumpy local backroads where I spend so much time, the tires feel as if they never leave the pavement. Hitting bumps (even sharp-edged ones) gives a luxurious and high quality feeling muted thump. I know much of this can be credited to these crazy-good Michelin Pilot Super Sports but again, I can only report on the net result. I have pushed the car hard but these things stick like gum to your shoe on a hot day. By the way, Bilstiens come with their own bump stops.

The HP Autowerks control arm bushings cost $70-something bucks for the set. Thanks to forum member GaryS (I think it was him!) for pointing me in that direction. Steering is now a bit lighter but with better feel and very little on-center play remaining.

CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) delete means I now have better take-up feel and an improved 1-2 shift. Shifting finally feels "normal".

I realize many forum members have gone with either Koni Sports or FSD's when replacing dampers, but being the willing Guinea pig that I am (I was also a Beta tester for the BMS Powerbox), I had to try the Bilstiens. I am so glad I did, and feel they will be very durable for the long run. 1 series owners seeking an ideal street package with an eye toward their budget might want to try the same combination I have. Please hit me up for any further testimonial or with questions.

Many thanks to Dan at United BMW for the springs, Jon at Turner Mototsports for the dampers, HP Autowerks, Butch at Tire Rack, and Joe at Nino Performance in Bethany CT. All provided excellent customer service, knowledgeable assistance and fast shipping where applicable.

Next round of mods will be the BMWP Aero front bumper for a more classic and sporty appearance, the BMWP exhaust, and perhaps a SSK (Short Shift Kit). Happy motoring, fellow 1ers...Cheers!

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 05-13-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0