06-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport, BSM/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
You say you want decent quality but you're looking at the cheapest systems out there? Buddy that's a paradox I don think you quite grasp.

Also. A stock 135 has about 3 inches of suspension travel (yes that's a literal number) with about 2 inches of that being against the bump stops.

This car uses its bump stops as part of the suspension - when you lower the car you take out the travel before the bump stop. This makes the ride more firm and more uncomfortable.

The Dinan system uses shorter bump stops - you should pick up a set of those if you drop the car.

Also 1.5" is excessive for the 135 - this slams the car, how do you expect decent ride quality on a slammed car on the cheap?

You want 1"? M3 bits Bilstein PSS 10 and done.

KW if you want to cheaper - Ohlins if you're willing to spend a bit more
Thanks for the info however I think there might be some confusion. I never said I was looking at the cheapest solutions out there.

In fact, I said I was looking for options and peoples recommendations. I had merely put the systems that I had looked at in order to avoid everybody coming in and saying.. look at this or that. (The solutions I already looked at). Also, the systems I mentioned above are the systems that a solid 80% of the people on here are using.

I see people on this forum go out and get only springs - now thats a cheap solution that you and I both know is not the right way of doing things. I doubt running coilovers is considered a "cheap" solution. Additionally, last I checked, dropping over $2,500 on suspension upgrades (between swapping to M3 parts and struts/springs) is not the "cheapest solution" out there.

For what it's worth, I'm going to be running 19's and ultimately plan on being dropped about 1.2".
Appreciate 0