View Single Post
      03-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #54
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Got the propshaft made up.

Unfortunately the donor M3 CV joint was damaged from the wrecked car. The CV cage was cracked and split in two

Thought about finding a 2nd hand V8 prop from a wrecked 5 or 7 series but decided I wanted the piece of mind with a brand new CV joint. Wasn't cheap, cost 300 for a new CV from FCP euro.

I used Jeff from Knox Driveshaft services and quite happy with the construction of the propshaft. A lot of propshafts I've seen have just been cut in the middle and butt welded up, resulting in a very weak propshaft. The welds are very neat and continuous and overall a very good job. The bonus is that he lives only a few streets away from me!

http://www.whereis.com/vic/ferntree-...lowId-12056837

Jeff took the time to machine out the OEM friction welded flanges on a lathe so they will slide into the propshaft tubing. This self aligns itself and is welded conventionally. This process also meant that we could not use the M3 propshaft tubing as it requires a bit more length since the flanges are now inside of the tubing. A matching length of pipe with the same bulked up middle section (instead of just a thin 60mm tube like the stock 335i/135i one) was used from a holden V8 propshaft and we have a nicely beefed up propshaft.

The new CV was greased and fitted, the propshaft was balanced and painted, ready to go on the car. Very reasonably priced too. Me very excite!

Some people have been having balance issues with M3 retrofit propshafts so fingers crossed no issues after the installation.
Attached Images

Last edited by vtl; 03-20-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0