View Single Post
      08-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I have back to back seat time in my 1M vs my friend's Cayman S. He and his car are quick, and he'll be on in the trophies at nationals this year in all likelihood. We were deciding if we should bring his Cayman or set up my 1M for nationals this year, but unfortunately I didn't have the time to mount an attempt of any kind this year.

The traditional paper/ rock/ scissors battle between the Vette and the Cayman is:

Vette has the advantage on the power course. The Cayman kills it in braking, turn-in and slaloms, so it wins the handling course, and depending on the courses it maybe wins overall.

The 1M turns in almost as well as the Cayman, brakes almost as well (much better than the Vette), but has the power to run with the Vette on the straights. So in theory you'd think it's the best of both worlds and has the field covered. However the 1M has two big weaknesses- slaloms/ transitions and putting power down.

The 1M being competitive depends on the ability to solve these two issues. If you can get power down out of the corners you'll hang with the Vette on the power course. If you can improve the transitions you'll get close to the Cayman on the handling course.

I don't believe it's possible to put power down or transition as well as the Cayman. CG is too high, too much polar moment, not enough weight over the back wheels regardless of the tires you run. However with the right shock package maybe you can get close. If you do, I think the 1M becomes the top dog in AS. However I don't know if any of the 1Ms running this year have the damping dialed in well enough to make it this year. It'll be interesting to see...

$.02