View Single Post
      05-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #220
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
3 days of HPDE and calipers destroyed? In what way? Cracked pistons?

So what is the final conclusion of this? What I want to know is

1 - Does the piston only cracked because of an incompatible pad with a custom backing plate? Aftermarket pads made specifically for the 135i brakes should be okay then, right?

2 - Does the seals still melt away under high heat usage? What is the implication of a melted seal?

3 - So, in summary, does the 135i brakes stand up to track usage as good as other OEM brakes from similarly priced vehicles out there? (Evo X/STi or even Caymans/M3s)?
1. No, my pads were Hawk DTC-70s designed specifically for the OEM calipers. The ceramic inserts and dust seals were crumbling, the whole calipers turned brown, and then enamel was flaking off.

2. Yes, my rubber dust seals were cooked. This is pretty much the case for all dust boots I've ever had though. There's a reason race brakes don't have them.

3. I cannot comment on Evo or STi brakes but they seem to not hold up as well as Porsche Brembos, based on my experience. If you want to use the OEM brakes on a track, definitely get the Titanium plates and plumb some cooling ducts if possible, or prepare to back off in the braking zones.
Appreciate 0