06-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_quick View Post
I'm brand new to these forums, but I've read them for quite some time. I currently own a 2009 VW GTI and I'm looking into purchasing a 1M. The 1M is significantly more expensive than the GTI. (About 2x what I pay a month).

The GTI is a real bang-for-your-buck, but is the 1M worth double, in terms of driving pleasure? If I get an 1M it will be completely barebones, AW and I will accept ED. I've never been to Germany and it seems that people love the ED.

I haven't seen any locally to testdrive, so I'm worried about diving into the 1M blindly.

I know people are going to tell me to google review and I've read and watched every review possible on the 1M.

Any suggestions????
We have a 2008 GTI, getting a bare bones 1M, white just like you said.

It's the wife's car and she loves it. It will be very hard for you to find ED MSRP at this point, but might be possible with patience and perseverance. We like the GTI but they are on two different planes. Fun per dollar is no contest, the GTI wins. You could get a brand new GTI and a 2003 M3 for the same money. Trading it in for 1M is a tough proposition. This is my midlife crisis, wanted ED for 25 years and I'm OK financially. What stage of your life are you in? Got some money in a retirement account? Own your home? If so, get the 1M, it's a more extreme machine. If you don't own your home or have some money set aside for retirement, then enjoy that awesome little car and put the 25K into something else.

Good luck. Hope that helps somewhat.
Appreciate 0