View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

Occasional very rough idle at startup followed by lack of power...fuel pump?

So lately I've been noticing my startup cranks have gotten a little bit longer. In preparation for my recent Boston to LA cross country trip, I told my dealer about it and took it in, citing that it really would not like to be caught somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a dying pump.

They didn't replace it, and I made it cross country with no issues. Now I've been here for a few weeks and yesterday morning when I started my car the idle shot to 2000 right away, then dropped really low below idle and started shaking for a few seconds before it caught itself again and returned to normal. As soon as I pulled out of my apartment complex and tried to accelerate, the car would barely gain speed no matter how much gas I was giving it. Nonetheless, I made it to my destination and 8 hours later when I started it up and drove home, all was normal again and the car had power.

I didn't have a check engine light or anything during this and still don't. Is it possible this is anything other than the fuel pump? My car's service records show that it had the HPFP replaced in mid 2010(not the latest pump?) It sucks having to wait until the thing grenades on me and ruins my day to get it fixed. Any advice? Also, if anyone's in the area, what's the best Los Angeles/Burbank area BMW dealer?

Thanks!