View Single Post
      07-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Electric cars are fantastic concepts, but I truly don't see them as a useful option.

Sure the vehicle is clean, but the delivery of electricity to the vehicle still isn't (coal or nuclear power providing your electricity) - Green Fail; Some even argue that the creation of those batteries do more harm for the environment - Questionable Green Fail.

Does anyone have a cell phone or laptop? Ever have the display say you have a little bit more charge than you think you do? Electronics always have a good way of failing when you least expect them to. I'm not taking a risk going to work with 20% charge left and chance making it home. At least with a petrol engine, I know that I can fill up in 5 minutes on the way. Electricity Fail;

If you can afford a BMW, you can afford the gas that goes in it. Considering how much more electric cars cost to produce, you'll need to keep it (once on sale instead of lease) more than 4-5 years for the savings in fuel to overcome the premium price tag of the vehicle. Economical Fail.

170HP 1 series. Performance Fail.

Theory Win.

Everything else Fail.

I think we're just not there yet. We will get there, but I would put money on it being after 2020.
Appreciate 0