09-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalldampfer1 View Post
I also have the June/July 2012 SIB. Doesn't do anything with NA unfortunately. All they care about is the VIN number no coming up. Just looking for an excuse to not pay for all my work.
I would talk to a dealer... tell them that you would not mind paying some labor fee if they could cover the new turbos under this SIB. That is what the deal is with most shops... BMW NA is not paying the tech enough time to do the job.

I don't know what the "shop time" is for replacing both turbos... but lets say that the COD rate is 12 hours(times their shop hourly rate) and BMW NA will only pay 5 hours. Offer to pickup the rest.

Its most likely that the dealer(and the tech) doesn't want to loose their A$$ on doing a shit job. BUT if they can get some money to make this job not so bitter... they just might agree to doing it! I know in a perfect world they should just do it, no questions asked. But then again in a perfect world BMW NA should force them to repair your car for free.

Or better yet... make friends with one of the techs at the dealer and ask what he can do for your case.

Otherwise... you will have to go to an independent shop and pay for the entire bill. Each turbo runs about $1,100 but you could also just have them rebuilt. A friend of mine over here in Germany just did this, they rebuilt is (wastegates only) for 250 euros per. Of course he did pay a shop 1,200 euros in labor to R&R them(labor). Most shops over here charge 120 euros per hour.

Years ago places like Turbo Performance Center in MD(Mike Levitas) made a killing upgrading turbochargers for all types of cars.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0