John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I don't see if being any benefit to adding a rear swaybar, and here is why:

1. Sways bars help reduce weight transfer on the given axle that is is currently on (for example front axle) by transferring it to the rear. This is why on BMWs, you actually reduce understeer instead of the common lack of knowledge that you increase understeer. The weight transfer is relocated to the back axle, thus instead of having that grip on the front left (for a left hand turn) it is transferred into the left rear wheel.

2. If you add a rear swaybar, you eliminate this weight transfer. Now you increase understeer, and because you don't have that effective weight transfer going to the rear wheels...you eliminate all potential rear grip because you stiffened up the rear too much. Grip is dependent on weight transfer.
In my understanding the sway bar increases the weight transfer for the axle that its on. The additional weight transfer comes though the sway bar bushings to the body of the car.

Adding a rear swaybar increases the weight transfer for the rear axle of the car and reduces the weight transfer on the front axle. More weight transfer on the rear axle means less grip at the rear of the car, and it reduces understeer. Because of the rear swaybar, the front tyres share a more even load and can provide more overall grip. In particular the inside front wheel will produce more grip in braking and turning to effectively hook the front of the car into the corner.
Appreciate 0