int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee55 View Post
Just bought my 135i(2009) ~ 1 month ago. Current mods are: AST 4100 coilovers (550 /784 hypercoil springs), cobb stage 1 linear, vorshlag camber plates(set at ~ 1.85), hankook v12's(came with the car used)
Great car and looks like it's got all the right mods for an autocross!

Quote:
Got a chance to take it out to auto - x with speed ventures. Had a blast learned alot about how to drive the 135i throughout the day.
I would highly recommend doing your next autocross with a BMW club chapter. Either the LA chapter, which runs their autocrosses also at Auto Clib Speedway AND/or the San Diego chapter, which runs their autocrosses at Qualcomm stadium in San Diego.

LA chapter (next auto-x May 20th):
http://www.bmwclubla.org/calendar.php

San Diego chapter (next auto-x May 12th):
http://sdbmwcca.com/

With the BMW club, you get top notch FREE instructors and will learn so much more than you can learn all by yourself. The're a great bunch of people coming to the BMW events and I'll bet you'll leave not only with a whole lot of new driving skills, you'll also make a ton of friends there!

Also, the BMW club is usually a bit more safety minded than Speed Ventures seems to be (still can't believe they put a slalom that close to that curb):

Quote:
Impressions: I definitely felt the understeer, especially on the sharp S's.
To quote my favourite instructor: "Slow in, fast out...."

Quote:
This was however a LOW speed course were it was very difficult to "put the power down" at any spot on the course(yes yes I know its an autocross course). I think the fastest you could get on the course ~ 45 mph maybe 50.
As you said - it's an autocross. While I've done speeds in excess of 80+ at Qualcomm, that's certainly not the norm. Part of having a safe autocross is keeping the speeds down.

That said, the large parking lot at Qualcomm does allow for higher speeds:

Quote:
As for the AST 4100, I think they were great....eliminated most body roll and the ride quality is great (even on the crazy pot holes over the 10 freeway). In fact I think the ride quality and comfort is on par with stock M suspension if placed on the softer dampening settings. For the auto x I was running stiffest in the rear and 3 clicks from stiffest in the front.
I think that's a bad idea. For the autocross you WANT some body roll. I would (and I am not) running anywhere near the stiffest settings. I would probably operate a lot lower towards the soft end of the travel. Your mileage will vary of course.

Quote:
Anyways had a blast, I think my camber in the front and better tires next time running will help my times alot(Rs3's!, ~-3 degrees camber)
Yupp! The tires alone (RS-3's or Star Specs) will make a HUGE difference! You won't believe how much more grip & confidence you will have.

Come down to San Diego or do the next event at the Speedway with the LA chapter! You'll have even more fun than you're already having!

Appreciate 0