View Single Post
      07-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

First thing...people survived many many decades without fancy AWD, Attesa, ABS, DTC, PSM, and any number of other acronyms and baby-sitter systems in their cars, don't forget that.

Next, AWD will provide additional winter ability that you will not have in a rear wheel drive or front wheel drive car. How much more will depend greatly on the car, the tires, and the driver.

The BIGGEST thing you will NEED, NOT WANT, NEED, is a set of either all-season or winter rated tires. Summer tires will get you in trouble, period.

After that you need to practice, in big open parking lots with noone and nothing around to hit should things go awry. Nothing high speed, just enough to get a feel of how to correct when things get sideways. Practice starts and stops as well.

Finally you need to use your brain. If extreme/slippery condiditions exist just don't be stupid. No car in the world will save you from yourself, if you go out in condiditions that are dangerous. Oh, and watch out for people that are stupid, that's really the biggest threat!

I have had many cars, AWD, FWD, RWD and they all survived winters near Chicago.

The only car I didn't drive all year was my S2000 and that was because I always had other vehicles to drive. But if I needed to, I would have slapped winter tires on that and drove that too.
Appreciate 0