Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Where the HELL are you getting that information?

The chip (ECU) most certainly doesn't need to be reset after the break in period and it's damn sure not going to cut power because you're driving conservatively.
BMW, both the Lauderdale dealer, and the Regional Representative, state that the chip "learns" how you drive and sets the car's performance accordingly.

My family and I first learned of it when my mother complained that her 5Series was really slow. When my brother drove it, he noticed it too. He took it to the dealer, they told him about the chip, they reset it, he drove it from the Service Dept, it instantly had more power. They stated that the chip "learns" how you drive, and if you drive gently, it sets the car for better mileage. If you drive hard, it sets the car for full power.

When I was trying to diagnose the issue I had with my last 3Series, they reset that chip multiple times as we were testing. I have Repair Orders stating this, because we wanted the car to try to reach full power because it had a problem with a hesitation in torque.

As for your point of it being "needed", I agree, it is not needed. The car can eventually learn to be as fast as possible. I just put that in since people in here want their 1's to be as fast as possible and more. But it is not needed. It is just a nice bit that is easy for the dealer service to do.

But if you baby the car for a long time, it will cut power to enter a more fuel efficient mode. It does on the 3 and the 5, and even just driving home in my 1, there was a touch of extra power with the chip reset.

As I have said in other threads, this information is relayed to me by BMW Service (Lauderdale BMW and the SoFL Regional Representative). I believe them on some things, and don't believe them on others. I can just tell you that I noticed a difference in my last 3 and now in my 1, and both my mother and brother noticed the difference in the 5 once the chip is reset to factory default.

If you can provide BMW-technical information on how that chip works, and what it can or can't do to the engine, that would be a help to all of us. We 1Addicts love our technical information
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)