View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #57
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

I did this today. The inserts are now black. Took 2.5 hrs, incl a drive, re-jack, and re-torque. Would have been easier with a friend. These are not like solid M3 bushings, I'm sure, but at least I don't have to FULLY drop the subframe and mess with brake lines to press/pull the bushings in and out. Wheel hop is less, straight line acceleration is... straight now. Worth the effort. I'd imagine the feel is 75% of M3 bushings, with half of the effort and cost. To really complete the "m3 bushings" package you'd probably need to replace the carrier bushings and all of the other suspension bushings also, of which there are plenty and you may as well just purchase M3 arms.
It was difficult to get my driver (US) side front back in the correct place so the bolt wouldn't cross-thread. The 18mm hex bolts were not in the same places as evidenced by the road grime ghost. I'm sure I need a minor alignment.
Ozimmer, it's 100nm, so 74 ft-lbs, not 75nm. Go re-torque your bolts. I'm not sure what the hex bolts are - they are for reinforcement only anyways. Good and tight will do for those.
Of course, a solid M3 bushing is better than inserts. A solid urathane would be even more stiff, solid delrin would be even harder than that, and billet aluminum would be for hardcore racers who like to break things.
Appreciate 0