View Single Post
      01-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Add me to the list of bent strut towers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
After my 3rd alignment ( paid $80 for 1 at pep boys and did the second one within the 3 month window they give you to return to do it again without charge. Third one was today at bmw [ which wanted $250 for alignment by the way but cut me a deal and only paid $135 ] ) i was told that i have strut tower damage and that there was mushrooming. My alignment is still off marginally. the print out says that the tech was unable to adjust camber on the front right wheel. ( i wish they could have told me all of this before taking my money )

i have no idea when this happened but i do remember that after hitting a few potholes the car never felt the same again. Am i the only one that has experienced this? i have a date to assess and quote the repair cost on saturday.
needless to say, im very unhappy.
I am getting curved custom reinforcement plates being made and are being intalled now.

I will post pics when it is finished.

Needless to say. I can not believe BMW engineers missed this one since my wife's Audi Q5 has a really thick strut tower top plate and brace as standard equipment.

Clearly this blooming of mushrooming strut towers is a cost reduction exercise by BMW accountants, risk management statisticians, and leasing consultants.

Grrr! But nothing drives like a BMW.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0