View Single Post
      08-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

UPDATE with new camber plates

After receiving my Vorshlag camber plates some time ago I installed them and made an alignment which did not go as great as I wished for, it was mostly good but I figured there is something not very right and I needed a re-alignment, which I did a few days ago.

This is a street driven car on stock suspension, stock ride height and stock size Michelin PSS tires; so I dialed this time the following numbers:

- 1.7 left and right camber (front)
0.04 toe (pretty minimum, I believe equals to 1/16") left and right (front)
stock caster (the machine showed 7.2 for one side and a bit less than 7 for the other side)

Rear was untouched, both camber and toe.

I just couldn't be happier. The difference with fully stock car is sensational and totally positive even if it is limited just to "street" (read: not track but aggressive whenever possible) driving. It turns willingly, feels very agile but also stable both going straight at high speeds (up to 240 km/h I tested) and it is really comfortable and feels very safe in traffic at low speeds too. I found this as a sweet spot and I will keep it as it is for sometime, so much so that now I start wondering if larger than stock tires are really necessary for a car which doesn't see track days or competition.

I feel that anything else as an eventual third step can be more camber still, maybe up to -2.0 but first I need to get bored of existing set up and find some understeer or laziness on the street.

If there is anyone on the fence thinking that they don't track so why need a camber plate, or instead of camber plates one should just go for a full suspension upgrade, I sincerely suggest try the camber plates first and search for your "best" alignment, this may be one of the very best mods that all 1Ms should try and enjoy.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0