10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #204
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Lets talk in the hypothetical...
I find it interesting how readily some of us accept every aftermarket manufacturer's offerings as "upgrades" or "performance" modifications and yet we show great skepticism with respect to OEM parts that are nominally "identical" to OE but for a logo being ground off. The question of why those particular parts are "seconds" certainly is interesting. They could just be excess parts made to ensure an order to the OE was fully filled. They could have some cosmetic blemish. With respect to a TRW suspension link, the bushings are unlikely to be at issue, as they would have been rejected prior to assembly if defective. Selling parts with structural flaws would incur a significant potential liability so is unlikely. A blanket rejection of OEM parts is not sensible. Neither is a blanket acceptance. An informed (or at least educated) risk benefit analysis is appropriate. There is something reassuring about having that M logo on the part, but depending on your budget and mindset, that reassurance may not really be worth the cost.
Appreciate 0