View Single Post
      08-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
So the wipers don't turn on in the car wash.

As to the "Auto Roof" request... the roof can't be raised/lowered while driving anyway, and you have to be sure that no arms/heads/pets have their body parts in the way before you close the roof. Unattended raising/closing could be catastrophic.
Even attended, open/closing still has pinch sensors, and the roof button has to be constantly pushed to complete a cycle.
You can plan for problems only up to a point, and common sense has to be used every time.
Even if there is an operator there, that doesn't prevent the random arm, pet, or head from doing stupid things.
Is an inattentive operator any quicker than an anti-pinch circuit?

That's why if I designed it, I would put a button/switch in there so that the driver would press/activate the function if they leave their top open.
If there is a pet or random arm or head in there, then don't activate the feature.
I don't see this type of feature being needed often, but it wouldn't be that costly or complicated to implement.

I thought that you can raise/lower the roof while moving. Many convertible makers advertise up to what speed the roof can be operated.
No?
Appreciate 0