View Single Post
      08-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #93
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If I had an n52 that had the "old" parts I would want it changed, even if the "ticking" was intermittant. I do not see a "real" problem without the change but I would not want my nice car to sound like an old worn out car. When an engine gets really old, the clearances open up, the oil pressure drops, and it is not unusual for the lifters not to be "pumped up" at idle. When oil pressure increases, the lifters fill up and the noise goes away but you wouldn't be able to tell if it didn't because of the other noise the engine makes when it speeds up. It seems like the early n52s also do not pump up the lifters at idle sometimes not because the clarances in the engine are too big or oil pressure is too low, just because of a design issue. I bet the n52s do not have oversized clearances off-idle either but why should a nice new car sound like a worn out one?

Jim