Thread: Carbon Fiber!
View Single Post
      09-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #46
GAL
Rep
Drives:

You are most certainly correct about the crumple zones,however being a retired firefighter/paramedic for 35 years, most people don't realize that if you replace a roof panel it compromises the body's stability. In today's unibody cars, once the roof system is compromised the car will fold up upon itself. The roofs in todays cars are built to protect against that, I would wage a good guess aftermarket parts are not made to do this. When we extracated people from cars today, we had to secure the roof system so the car would fold up on itself, you could do this with air bags, jacks, or wood blocks(cribbing). If you had to extracate, we would place a chain on the front bumper and run it under the car an secure it to the rear of the car, and with what we call a com-along, we would tighten the chain down so the car would not fold up.Once the body is secured you can remove the patient by cutting of the top. But like I said, if you compromise the safety features that are built into the car, that companies spend millions of dollars on, you better have a good back up system , like a complete roll cage. I just want everybody to think safety first, no one likes to individualize cars and trucks more than I do. My wife ,god bless her, has endured over 250 different cars, trucks , from classic to current models, but safety was always at the front of all modifications. I have 4 boys from 35-23 years of age and I always give them the same speech. I really don't care what you do to your automobile, as long as it's safe any you are protected!!!!!
That is my wish for all of you!!!!!!!!
I am not pointing these thinks out to be a smart a--, but to have everyone consider your safety when doing something to your automobile. The front end, hood,roof,doors, and all interior safety features work in concert to keep you safe during an accident. If any one of these things are compromised, thinks could happen you don't want to even think about. I have learned over the years that most aftermarket parts are not tested to the same standard as your factory parts, the aftermarket manufactures don't have the money or the resources to go out and wreck cars, and test the parts. Just do your research and ask questions , but if not given the info you need, the part is more than likely not to the same standard, and just don't take their word it is, they will say anything you want to hear to sell a part. I have seen to many people die needlessly, from big 4 wheelers to sports cars, because of modifications they made to their automobile, JUST BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0