06-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #27
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You can change your oil everyday if it makes you happy. It makes no difference to me. A $25 UOA will tell you if the oil is still serviceable and what contaminants are present at 15K or whatever OCI you desire. No guessing required.

Obviously when BMW is paying for engine damage for the first 50K or four years, if they thought 15K OCI's were an issue they'd change it to a lower mileage. People have used 18K OCI's in Europe for years without issue. I suspect BMW has a lot more statistics on this subject than you but if not please enlighten us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I won't retire until they plant me in the ground...

WAGs = Wild Ass Guesses

WAGs are similar to SWAGs = Scientific Wild Ass Guesses - except WAGs have no science just opinion.

BTW, I do UOA on every drain in my cars and have for 25 years. You'd be surprised how good newer spec oils are.
Wonder what your Transmission UOA looks like?

Agree newer spec oils are better now. Could you give us a 20 year %improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I believe what he was getting at is that often people cite that BMW engineers know best about "break in" as they designed and tested the cars. But, then, when it comes to following BMW's recommended maintenance intervals, which are given by those same BMW engineers who designed and tested these cars, those same people disregard the BMW manual's maintenance intervals.

The question isn't that one is "abuse" and the other is good insurance. The question is; why accept BMW's "break in" recommendation, but not the maintenance intervals? It's logically inconsistent to accept BMW's experience and knowledge in one area of mechanical operation, but then not accept BMW's experience and knowledge in another area of mechanical operation.
It appears TrackRat is getting caught in a pickle?
Appreciate 0