07-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There are thread wear indicators on the tire's circumference(marked by a triangle). Look on the tire's side wall for TWI (thread wear indicator), when the thread is flush with those bars - your tires are done.

Attachment 715531

Attachment 715532

Attachment 715533

In Germany, the legal limit is 1.2mm(I think?). That is the legal MINIMUM! But ADAC and most Germans will tell you to change the tires when they are at 4mm thread. Now mind you new tires only have 8 or 9mm of thread when new! But over here... the risks with aquaplaning are so great on the Autobahn that the 4mm rule is a good idea.

Also tires older than five years old should also be replaced regardless of thread depth. The the reason is tires get harder with age and loose their grip and performance - so its best to replace them before causing an accident.

Tires are often the most over looked item on a car. But they are your ONLY contact with the road... and they play such an important role in your safety.
Thank you for all the valuable information. The car only has 30k miles on it so I think, from all your comments, I will replace the tires.
Appreciate 0