09-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Touche'. I am glad you are feeling better about it! IMHO the turbos on this car are too small and make too much power at lower RPM for there to be any "serious" lag. Which is why I was concerned peoples postings about "lag" were more perceived than they were realistic.

I think the previous 335 issue (which was not a 1M issue) is understandable as the documentation that Artemis posted indicates BMW wanted the wastegates only partially open so that boost can be achieved more readily while increasing fuel economy. I am sure this is what resulted in the rattling which every single person from here to Bangkok complained about! Subsequently (if memory serves me right) BMW changed the tune to have the wastegates more open thus increasing that gap, reducing or eliminating "rattle", and increasing the distance the WG has to travel to close and spool up the turbo, thus potentially increasing "lag".

Too bad the majority didnt take the time to think that dealing with that little bit of noise might be a trade-off for increased performance/less "lag". Is that a fair post/statement's to make? Or am I totally off the reservation here?

That is EXACTLY the predicament we are in... when we get the latest SW update. Everything is a trade off. But I would MUCH rather have rattles WITH no lag and performance then no rattles with fairly decent lag.

I hated BMW's latest SW fix so much it was what pushed me to get a flash tune. Now I am happy.
Appreciate 0