View Single Post
      01-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
I think as the price drops on used 135i's and a younger audience has the ability to get into it, aftermarket support will rise a little. It has quite the potential to become an affordable tuner car.
I agree, but I don't think it's enough. Already there is a relatively large used 1 series market. I mean, I'm comparing this to 2008 when I joined the forums, 2009, even 2010. Maybe it's still too early to say... But I'll tell you this... And I'm honestly not trying to sound like a hipster or a crotchety old fart (I'm in my mid 20's lol), but I've noticed a very subtle change in the forums over the years in terms of general attitudes and maturity of posts. I see a lot of people on here who got used 1ers and are stepping up from cheaper cars as well.

In the beginning I saw lots of 3 series, sti, Evo, G35, 370Z, and e46 M3 ex-owners buying new 1ers, and all of these are around the same price as a new 1 series. Now I see noticeably younger sounding people buying used 135i's after owning noticeably cheaper (and less powerful) cars. This isn't terrible all in all, and again I don't want to come off sounding mean, especially since this is still the best forum I've ever really been a part of, but I see street racing posts that would have been locked within hours 3 years ago. I see people just acting straight up rude or retarded on here.

So my point is, there is definitely an even younger and more diverse crowd here than ever before (i say "even" because the original crowd was relatively young). And there's still no big aftermarket. Overall, especially in the US, the majority of people who buy bmws with no interest in ever personalizing or modifying them is so overwhelmingly large, that the sales for any given car need to be HUGE in order to justify any aftermarket company even touching the 1 series. I really believe a company like Seibon, who makes great products for many cars, really lost money for the first few years it manufactured 1 series hoods and trunks. Startups don't have the luxury of waiting years to turn a profit.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0