fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

I'm doing a fair bit of research on this,
I'll post another detailed outline once I make sense of it all

My comments thus far though

1. Greenkirby yeah perhaps you're right, maybe those LEDs are the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. I think the fact that Nick@JLEVI kept saying "the LEDs cant cause it" indicates an oversight as to how these things actually work. The LEDs and the HID are all running off the same wiring / power cable. So I'm pretty sure the car is reading the TOTAL power not the power specifically going to the bulb, hence possibly validating your theory Greenkirby

2. Greenkirby no-one said its "all JLEVIs fault", my issue really is that common sense is simply not prevailing here. Telling a customer you'll refund them if they send the product back, which really means telling them to pay another $119 to the mechanic + postage fees to remove & send them back, rather then sayin hey we'll send you an error cancelling module which is just a small plastic box the length/width of a house key at a cost to us of around 20/30$. Its just poor.

3. SchlauCow your experience somewhat mirrors mine, not suprisingly though.
Mainly in that

A. When we ordered, we BOTH had no idea that these things would need an "error cancelling module", and we BOTH didn't even see the error cancelling module listed on the page until AFTER we ordered

B. The staff attitude towards the error cancelers is funny really cause they seem to think it's an optional accessory that customers may or may not want?

C. I also feel duped. You pay $99+$28 shipping you dont expect a plastic bag of LEDs, more importantly, that'll endup costing you over 100 to install & then deal with errors.

-------------

Now. Lets get to the technicalities

--------------

Schlau I've been researching a fair bit on the forums and it would appear that the MTEC HID kit have a "relay" in the wiring that supposedly addresses the errors.

If you look above at the photo I posted where you can see my hand, the plastic connections you see I believe are the relays. They're basicall in between the ballast & the connection to the headlight. So I assume they're doing something

Have a look at this thread/page, you'll see everyone talking about MTEC kit being error free thanks to the "relays"
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=84882&page=11

Scroll down and get to the photos and you'll see the same looking plastic connectors as per my photo.

--------

Then have a look here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=143927&page=3
Again people saying the "relay" in the mtec kit is the key to being error free

Apparently a user called "parachute" made the fix and actually suggested against the error cancelling modules which bring the power output/input/whatever up to 55W from 35W in favour of his relays.

So I contacted him and let him know my scenario where I think I've already got them installed but still getting errors with the new LEDs to see what he has to say,
will drop that feedback here once i get it

--------------------------

Another potential avenue I've found is OBD coding.
Check this out
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=mtec

Apparently the dude paid a german guy to plugin to his OBD port and do an assortment of things from increasing the power to his angel eyes, to changing some errors.
So perhaps it's possible to program the ECU to look for 35W instead of 55W

---------------

re: error cancelling modules, quite hesitant to use them. They're destined to fail, one dude on another thread said he got some generic ones off ebay and soon as he plugged them in and turned them on they started getting hot/smoking

Do you have the error modules from JLEVI installed Schlau?

Last edited by fatjoez; 10-08-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0