The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
I was just talking to JZhang about this very subject this past weekend
Considering the following: Canon EF-S 17–55mm f/2.8 IS USM or Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM probably Version I because I do not think I will notice a major difference with II and price of course.....I am still a novice photographer but I think getting some better glass will help (it will make me feel better at a bare minimum). Since you have a bit more experience than me what is your opinion?
personally, for the first high end glass, i would make it the one you would use every day.

if you get a more expensive telescopic zoom, you'll always want to be using it because the images will be so much sharper, but because the zoom will be so much on a crop body like the 550D you won't have much (if any) opportunity to use it indoors.

Even when outdoors, using a zoom like that is only necessary to a limited extent. don't get me wrong, I have a 100-400mm L series, and it's one of my favorites, and i pull it out of my bag as often as i can, but i don't get my moneys worth out of it at all. That's when i decided to get my second L series (24-70) and it's been pretty much perminantly attached to my camera except when i'm doing sports stuff for my girlfriend when she's doing horse jumping events. But but again, I'm on a full frame camera, so the 24-70 would be extreme for indoor use on the body you're looking at.

So for day to day indoor and outdoor use, i wouldn't hesitate to go for that 17-55 2.8 because that's basically the same range i shoot with every time with my 24-70 (anoying math when it comes to the crop body VS. the full frames.) It will be your best bang for buck. In my opinion.
Appreciate 0