08-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #75
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech2 View Post
Without a blow off valve, when you let off of the gas, the compressed air in your intake piping increases to great pressures as the turbines in the turbocharger are forced to a screeching hault. The extreme pressure forces the air back through the turbocharger, increasing the wear on the turbo.
Uhhh. The N54 has a DV... which serves the same function as the BOV. So your whole explanation of "without a BOV" is moot since the engine has a DV.

Also, just so you know, if there was enough force (pressure and backflow) to cause the turbine to come to a "screeching hault" (halt) you'd have much bigger problems than decreased efficiency. Your induction pipes would burst... not to mention the turbine itself would probably shatter. The backflow just slows the turbine down which is bad as has already been explained.

But like I said the engine already has a system in place to take care of this so "slapping on" a BOV as soon as you get the engine is going to do absolutely nothing for you except make it sound like a ricer.

Personally I'd never do that to such a nice engine, especially right when I got it. To each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0