Thread: Manual or auto?
View Single Post
      07-21-2005, 11:12 PM   #35
mthz
Rep
Drives: 1997 VW Passat VR6

Same situation...

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. Not sure if anyone knows the area, but I live in downtown Seattle (as of August 1st), and commute about 15 miles to the East Side for work. Both ways are either REALLY slow or total bumper to bumper. Seattle also is really hilly, so there are a bunch of hills to navigate.

Originally, I had wanted to get a manual for the "fun factor" that you are all talking about. However, the more I thought about it, it didn't really seem to make sense with all of the hills and the near bumper to bumper commute everyday.

The other thing is that I have no idea how to drive stick =). I've never touched a manual car in my life. So, for someone like me, does it make sense to save $1,275 to go with the manual and have fun, or would the traffic/hill situation I noted above make the manual not even worth it, especially since I have no idea how to drive a stick? Would it take long to learn to drive stick? Could I learn really quick somewhere so that I could at least test drive a manual? Any thoughts? =)

Thanks!
Matt
Appreciate 0