View Single Post
      06-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Well, it does look like a M240i xdrive Convertible is coming out this year, so I guess that's the (best) answer.
Edit: and it existed last year as the M235i xdrive Convertible.

Everyone I've seen swap in xdrive has done the whole engine too - probably because it's all controlled by the DME.

To answer the question of why:
1) Because the E92 M3 and F82 M4 Convertibles are too big.
2) My 0-60 times and spirited straight-line street driving is limited by one thing: rear wheel grip.

What's the point of having a 450rwhp street car if all you get is wheel-spin whenever you try to use more than about 300hp at street-legal speeds?

I know most people love RWD for the handling, and in a Mustang you have beer-barrel tires and tonnes of dead-weight to stop the back wheels from spinning. In a small, light car you reach a point where you either need drag-racing slicks up the back or AWD.

I'm not trying to convince you it's a 'good' idea, or even that AWD is a good thing. Just explaining why I was considering it.

But yeah, for the money and effort - better to just trade up to a M240i xDrive `vert.
I can assure you that in a 1 series, you are not even close to reaching the limits of what RWD has to offer., to justify needing AWD.
Appreciate 0