View Single Post
      01-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi19 View Post
I've been lurking around the site for awhile I see many of you have remapped your cars for more power. My question though is have any of you had any damage to the motor or more specifically the transmission with such an increase in power?
I have a steptronic AT and have not noticed any ill effect from the JB3.

But as a rule I don't do 1st gear launches because 1st is pretty much all wheelspin.

I also stopped downshifting via kickdown switch on the floor (which is hard on the tranny) and just use the paddle shifters manually when I want to dip into the power.

I think the BMW auto tranny is quite rugged compared to my prior GTI, which had the twin clutch DSG transmission. I flashed the GTI to about 250 hp and noticed that the tranny started to get very sloppy in it's shifting shortly thereafter.

So far I have 4,000 miles on this tune and am still impressed with how well the car runs.

In fact, flogging it once in a while seems to improve the feel of the engine.

Just use some common sense and don't over do things.

Even with a tune, 95% of the time you spend on the road will be at stock power levels or lower (according to my boost gauge anyways).

The main thing to watch out for is heat.

Engine knock/detonation are tops for engine damage and they are directly correlated to higher combustion temperatures.
Appreciate 0