08-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #61
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You don't need to be on a track to drive quickly around a turn or accelerate rapidly. You're talking to a former Lotus owner. Every pound counts, especially when we're talking about nearly 300 of them. Again, just be truthful about your priorities. Mine are focused on driving dynamics, yours are centered around not having a roof. I don't know why you have such a hard time coming to terms with the fact that you did make some level of performance sacrifice.
huh?

His response was yes you do lose a small amount - but chassis flex doesnt come in until 9/10s (guarantee you arent doing that on the street)
and it is about 250lbs (3400 (135 coupe) vs 3650 (135 vert) vs 3900 (335 vert)) - at the lowest point of the car. You coupe guys love to complain about sunroofs at the highest point. Well this is the same concept - only in reverse. The number sounds large but its actual effect is much less than you make it out to be. And so you lose 2/10s to 60 - but is that something that you actually notice day to day?

My first priority is drop top - yes. But a close second is driving dynamics and fun, which I dont feel ive sacrificed in the 135. My autox wins and the smile thats been on my face for four years are a testament to that.

If my only priority was drop top - id be in a Solara.

But, you wouldnt catch me dead in a Mustang, or a Mercedes, or a Corvette vert - because those are floppy noodles compared to the coupe. Im not particularly fond of the 335 vert either, because you can feel the weight of the folded roof in the back - not so with the cloth top.
But, BMW happens to value driving dynamics across the board - its why their verts are so fun to drive and so communicative - without flex. You haters love to throw that word around. The 135 vert chassis is incredibly stiff - and I can prove it too.

You keep wondering why we have these conversations. Let me tell you why in no uncertain terms.

You come into a thread like this with no concept of what were talking about - and then say that our cars are crap and that we only care about a breeze through our hair - as if were vain jackass for wanting to be privy to the enhanced sounds and sensations that topless motoring offers.

Thats total BS and its very insulting.

And honestly, if your first and only priority was driving dynamics - youd still be driving the lotus. And speaking of driving dynamics, didnt you bad mouth Miatas the other week?

Last edited by BrokenVert; 08-01-2012 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0