01-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #130
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy's Alter Ego View Post
Who did you have do the clear bra install? Results commendable?
That's not an easy answer. Since 2000 I've owned 6 cars, all of which had a full 3M kit installed after purchase at four different Seattle area installers (an X-Pel dealer in Lynnwood, StonGuard and two Accutint locations). From past experience, I am fairly certain that I've seen all the possible good and bad results with the 3M film. Accutint in Bellevue has done the best work and saw the last 3 vehicles.

For the 135 I wanted to switch to VentureShield (yes I know it's owned by 3M) for the improved film clarity, but when I called Accutint (who is an authorized VentureShield installer) they steered me towards 3M and said they didn't have good things to say about VentureShield. That may have been the warning for what was about to come... a new world of expectations and quality that I wasn't ready for, and that I still don't fully understand.

Because Accutint wasn't recommending VentureShield, I went to another shop which I didn't have previous experience with, but that came highly recommended from friends. I wasn't happy with the finished work, at least compared to 3M work I've had on previous cars. Some panel edges aren't rolled, the side mirrors have micro bubbles and a rough film texture, and there are relief cuts on the front hood edge that I haven't seen before when using 3M.

When I complained to the installer, they defended their work and claimed it was the best they could do with the VentureShield film. Their defense is that VentureShield is a more difficult material to work with... it's thinner, the material is more difficult to stretch and the adhesive is significantly weaker than 3M.

I can't argue their claims, and logically it makes sense because all those factors would contribute to the overall higher clarity of the film. While 3M supposedly installs "cleaner" it's prone to shrinkage, yellowing and orange peel, all of which I've personally experienced.

I don't know what to think about my experience. I'm somewhat disappointed with the end result, but if it's really the best work they can do, I shouldn't expect anything better. I believe the installer does high quality work (I've seen good results from their work on other vehicles) but apparently I, or the 135, am the exception.

PM me if you want specific names.
Appreciate 0