08-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnK View Post
Wow! For my first post, this is almost deja vu in reverse.

Three days ago I traded in my 1998 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta for a used 1M with about 5800 km. And, I couldn't be happier.

The Ferrari was a POS compared to the BMW. Ya, sure the Ferrari sounded great at 5000+ RPM. It pulls well at high RPM as well. But, at anything lower than about 5000 RPM it feels totally anemic. It isn't very comfortable to drive, and for me was very impractical. The looks you get are fun at first, but after a while it's really annoying. People chase after you to get a picture or video. You can't really enjoy the car without attracting attention. It wears on you after a while.

I bought a car that I thought was very well sorted from a respectable dealer after a thorough PPI. In the seven months I owned the car, I spent $17k on it. New cats, new headers, O2 sensors, bypass valve, etc, etc.

You may get lucky and not have to spend much money, but when you do have to spend, it's a lot. You need to have enough disposable income that spending $10k to $20k wouldn't faze you too much.

Good luck.

Shawn
Thanks for your first ever post in the forum! Wow indeed, such a coincidence. This was very helpful, I appreciate

The more I read here and elsewhere the more I am feeling closer to my 1M. I guess better idea is to find one F355 to enjoy for a day or two when I travel to (or posted to) Europe again. I feel like I am in love with my 1M but (damn male nature) got seduced by a hot (and not so young!!) lady for a moment
Appreciate 0