View Single Post
      11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #53
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Coming in on the secondary market has its definite advantages, although in the case of the 1 M it's diminished commensurate with the low volume of units to choose from.

While performing ED of the frau's E91 Touring in June 2011 I was fortunate to see two of the colors in-vivo.

VO was displayed prominently in Da Welt and I had ample opportunity to inspect and crawl all over it while waiting for my appointed pick-up time. In the showroom it really popped under the artificial lighting, but I was curious if it held up as well under natural lighting outdoors.

The day before I was to turn in the Touring for dropoff to Login/Out at the Munich airport I decided to recon the route and also take it to a self-serve car wash that was near the airport. The first time around on the ring I missed my turn to Login/Out, but noticed out of the corner of my eye a nice AW 135. Once I came back around and made the proper turn it then struck me that the reason it was especially nice is because it was in reality a 1 M.

So the next morning after arriving at Login/Out parking lot just as I was getting out the Touring to go inside I glanced out the rear view mirror and lo and behold a really bright orange car passed by behind and pulled in a couple of cars down. Once I got my bearings I realized right away what it was.

It was a beautiful, bright sunny day and even though you could tell this car had been driven hard and put away dry and dirty VO was still popping in its natural radiance.

I decided then and there that I had to talk to the lucky owner, and after talking with him for 15 minutes he hands me his business card which reveals that he is the Editor in Chief of BMW Blog, a super nice chap named Horatiu Boeriu.

Horatiu divulged that he was on a dual mission of both picking up his personal 1 M via ED, and also doing some test drives for upcoming articles on the M135 and M6 (tough gig, huh? ).

During our discussion he gushed about his experience of driving the 1 M in Europe, and he unabashedly said it was the best M car he had ever had the pleasure of driving.

The upshot is that I knew if I ever were fortunate enough to be able to swing one of these puppies VO would be at the top of the list.

So although I'm still a bit bummed that Le Mans blue was not offered on the palette, after 4 months of living with VO I can say it still blows what's left of my thinning hair back.

But again, considered the circumstances anybody would be blessed to have any one of the three colors, especially considering once you're belted down in the cockpit they all look the same from inside.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0