11-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN
hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm planning on completely wrapping my car.

wasn't too sure how to take off the door handles. If anyone has done it before and had any pointers that would be great! thanks!
Hey Chris,

1. Open up the door

2. There is a hole (maybe with a rubber plug) at the level of the door handle that is covering up a reverse hex bolt. From memory it uses a 4mm Allen key. Remove the bolt. Don't drop it inside the door.

3. Pull off the locking mechanism (driver side) or solid cover (passenger side). If you are having difficulty with the locking mechanism, stick your key in, turn it 90 degrees and pull the whole thing out.

4. Pull on the door handle and it will pop out slightly and become loose. Once loose, slide the door handle towards the back of the car and the handle should pop out.

Note: Be careful of the puddle lights. You don't want to break them or lose them inside the door itself. Lift them up and push them in to release them and then you can pull them out to dangle by the wire so they'll be less likely to be lost or broken.

When reinstalling the door handle, just do it all in reverse. You might notice that the door handle is loose and won't pop back in tightly. This is normal. Once you pop the locking mechanism/cover back in the door handle will pop back in securely.

Good luck.