05-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #404
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Perhaps you're right. I hope not. If the DME just "thought" it was feeding a signal to the original fan then there should be no issue. I'll try and read up some more & see how the hardware/connections on page 21 (A5* Socket contact, on DME control unit A6020, plug X60101) differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
If all that is needed is the retrofit coding then you can just use something like autologic which has the ability to code through the CIP system just like BMW dealers can.

But, I think where it states 'activation codes on CD' it means that you need FSC codes to be able to code it all. If you didnt get this cd than it is unlikely to work.
You sound like you're much more in the know about this stuff than I, but why would the DME think/know it's feeding anything other than the original 600w fan? Is there some kind of coding on the connector? If it's just the connector change then couldn't you just take the connector off the 600w fan and swap it with the 850w units connector so that the DME knows no different? I'm an electrician & an electrical engineer, but certainly no auto electrician or BMW electrics expert so please tell me where my logic may be flawed.
As I see it, engine gets hot, notifies the control unit of the degree of hotness who then feeds a (0-5V / 0-12V?) signal to the (600 or 850w) fan which then spins/spins faster as suggested by the DME until the temp sensor tells the system that things have cooled down. The worst I can see happening here without recoding is that with the 850w fan, things may cool down a little more rapidly than the DME wanted.

Last edited by TimMc; 05-07-2012 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0