View Single Post
      09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #612
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

The whole track preparation thing is a furphy. For major drag meetings they prepare the track using TrakBite or the equivalent. This works really well with high powered, light drag racing cars with large slicks.

These race vehicles have the horsepower to haze the large slicks and lay down a nice big thick sticky track of rubber on the surface. This means when thy launch, the slicks stick really well to the rubber already laid down and so you get better traction.

Radial tyres are constructed totally differently to slicks. They are much MUCH harder and the action of a radial - drag radials included - is to "cut up" the track prep spray and any rubber deposited by cars with slicks. In effect the radial tyres destroy the track preparation.

That's why seasoned drag racers can't stand Wednesday night newbies with radial tyres and it's also why they don't bother to do any track prep for a street meet.

In the US I've seen a smarter approach where they have one lane for slicks and one lane reserved for radial tyres so everyone can be happy. Here they just don't bother with track prep.

So when I rock up with runflats I know I'm going to cut the track to pieces. What can you do if yu just want to run your street car and have a bit of fun?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0