View Single Post
      07-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #72
VroomVroomRaceCar
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Le Mans Blue

Hey Guys,

I just did this mod on my otherwise stock 2011 135 N55. This is the best Bang for your Buck mod you can do. Period. Pure genius. Heat wrap covered both sets of holes and kept all the fiberglass in.

Impressions:
At start up and idle the car is only barely louder, however in the “fun RPM” range I think it’s about 10-20% louder and sounds deeper and more aggressive. It also accents the pops and burbles at low speed that the muffler tends to…. Muffle. Very Very happy with the results, fantastic for the price.
On a stock car this is totally worth it. Next step is the downpipe and JB4.

Procedure and tips:
The hardest part of the whole deal was getting the Muffler off. Those rubber hangers are terrible. I soaked them in WD40 and used a flathead and needle nose to work them out. If I were doing this again I would buy the 3 Hangers new for 30 bucks and just cut them off.
Once the muffler is off I had to cut both the top and the bottom with an angle grinder to get to the big holes and small holes. I wanted to do it all from the top but it was impossible to get both. You only need to cut the thin strip down the middle to access the holes, only 2-3 inches wide.
Wrapping was easy enough, I used:
DEI 010121 Black 2" Exhaust Wrap - 15' and
Breeze Power-Seal Stainless Steel Hose Clamp, Worm-Drive, SAE Size 36, 1-13/16" to 2-3/4" Diameter Range, 1/2" Bandwidth (Pack of 10)
from amazon and secured each side with 3 ring clamps. I used these from amazon too and they fit great, covering everything well.

I had access to a welder so that part was free (minus the beer and pizza) but a nice grind afterwards made it super easy. Reattaching was a breeze, again thanks to WD40.

Thank you all so much for the Idea and pictures, making this a great DIY Mod.
Appreciate 1