View Single Post
      09-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #108
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
FYI... When I owned a Porsche 944 Turbo(way back when) many PCA guys used Swepco gear oils in the trans and diff's. The fluid was bight blue/green and was used mostly in the food industry. Many guys swear by this fluid for P-cars.

http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/gear.htm

I would still stick with using either OE fluids(for the trans and diff) or Redline AFT-D4 for the trans and Castrol SAF-XJ for the diff. And change them often (20K to 30K miles).
Has anyone pulled a VOA of the BMW MTF to determine if the viscosity and additization is close to that of D4? ATFs in MTs are always a compromise, and Id not want to be messing with it more.

I dont see anything special about XJ to be honest, and I dont believe there is any reason to run an LSD add pack in an open diff (not that there is anything wrong with it). 140 range gear oils seem a bit stout for 300 lb-ft to be honest, and while I dont criticize the choice, it is important to understand why a lot of the industry went to 140 wt lubes when the 90 wt range got cut (and how 110 fits into it, even though it is not a ubiquitous viscosity). Id use M1 75w-140 or Amsoil SVG 75w-110 or -140 with equal confidence to XJ.
Appreciate 0