View Single Post
      06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Great cars are always a balance. 700hp and matching torque through a platform that can barely fit tires larger than a 265 in the rear is simply idiotic. The Aventador, which is both AWD and has less torque to deal with, has 335s out back.

700hp is a dick measuring contest, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with real performance, drivability, or driving fun.
lolwat?

seriously?

you can fit 285's in the rear of our 1ers with right wheel sizing/offsets (9.5 +62 for 135... +52 for other).. Hell, a 1M could fit >305 if they wanted.

it has everything to do with performance, drivability and fun, if you set it up right including tuning.

The local quickest cars are limited to 265 if they're AWD, and put down >800whp.. (RWD are 295 all 'round)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Exactly.

It's a trend you see all the time on car forums. Party X buys car. Party X than massively mods car for epeen forum love. 1x-3x the value of the car is spent modding it. People lose interest in Party X's car fairly quickly. Party X sells the car for less than the rest of the market, let alone the mod cost.
not going to happen with mine, fortunately lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
@ stroker evo putting vettes to shame. Look up LMR 2,000hp Vette. Stateside we can get C6 Z06's south of 40 grand. I don't like evos, I will give them credit though some are quick.
Yes, look up tilton, nemo, micks motorsport – and none of them are even the hardcore drag ones (ok ok, micks is i think, it's pretty mental from a standing start.), yet they’ll still run ~8’s and absolutely annihilate that vette on a circuit to boot.
I’m in Australia - http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...sortby=TopDeal

Yep, not even joking.

BTW, again, when I say ‘track’ I don’t mean ¼ mile, I mean a proper race track.

Quote:
Corvette (C6)= 0.286 (http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam..._eBrochure.pdf)

BMW 1 Series= 0.31 (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-135-2013/expert-review/)

My point was if horsepower and speed are your main goal this is the wrong platform as many have stated. Trying to make them high hp dyno queens is ruining the car.
0.286 is for the non Z06, 0.34 for the Z06. 0.31 for the 1 series would be for a lower model than the 135i, 135i has more drag.

There’s nothing wrong with this platform for horsepower and speed.. the ONLY thing wrong with it, is the short wheel base making it a bit twitchier, and all that REALLY means is talentless drivers need not apply. The motor is strong and easy to modify, the suspension/bolt-on-able parts are both plentiful, and designed with track performance in mind – the E8x and E9x will NEVER be good at ¼ mile times for the power they put down, it’s going to take way too much effort to get them better than low 10’s, and even that’s a stretch.

When I say ‘track’ I mean a proper circuit with corners and… you know, racing… what BMW’s in general are supposed to freakin do haha.

Quote:
You should post some of the butter smooth dynojet graphs.
Ok gimme a bit haha

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1385091155

first one i found.. obviously unfinished tuning, unfinished boost control, stock head, unrefined timing, MILES better than the terrible stock curve that has a HUGE hump

Quote:
E85 should be interesting, I don't know what the current duty cycle is on these injectors but bumping up HP plus 30% more fuel for E85 seems like a lot to ask of factory injectors...
Specs can be found on the website: http://www.conti-online.com/www/down...cts_pdf_en.pdf

Current duty cycle is extremely low, and I’m assuming the specs aren’t 100% either.

So more HP + E85 is no biggy, the injectors are EXTREMELY high quality.

Quote:
753whp on factory 28 spline half shafts? Where did you get such a number? I find it hard to believe the DSS would go through the trouble of making/improving half shafts for this car for only about 200 crank hp more than the factory shafts are good for..
The other forum, the current record stands at 753whp, user aflatau
The previous record was something like 733 on a slapped together tune.. there’s multiple cars between 700-750whp now, all held back by fuelling alone.
Stock turbo E85 record was just set by Vargas at something like 556whp?
Stock turbo (and platform) torque record set at 65x by dzenno a while back with his ported head and RB’s.

Quote:
Poke around a little more on e90post and here and you will see some people who weren't exactly taken care of by BMS. I don't consider them to be a top tier tuner by any means, look at Cobbs track record across multiple platforms on multiple brands.
Yeah, if you keep reading those same threads, someone usually helps them out straight away, or proves they weren’t telling the truth 100%..
Cobb is an amazing company, I’m not disagreeing with you.. but saying BMS is on the same level as Vishnu in terms of poor support and poor track record is simply untrue, there’s supposedly something like >20,000 BMS JB’s sold to date.

Quote:
Where are you getting these very specific numbers for: half shafts? engine internals? transmission? injectors? Basing numbers off of something 3 or 4 people have done offers little evidence of a solid thresh hold for a particular part. I am curious to the source of these so that I too can be informed of these specific results.
The history of the platform? Like I said, you need to do more reading…
There’s DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of people over 600ft-lb on N54’s – horsepower doesn’t break things.. .TORQUE breaks things (and revs, but no one has exceeded stock redline in any capacity yet)
If you read e90post, the n54 section of 1addicts, the ‘other’ forum, n54tech.. all the info’s there.

Last edited by flinchy; 06-05-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0