01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #43
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
Why change the 135 to N55 if they've- "already tuned the N54 reliably"? Cost and CAFE regulations- those are the reasons, don't kid yourself. If you're buying what BMW is selling- that it will have better response that's your right. Stock to stock 6MT 135i- I would bet the N54 car will walk away (or at least edge out) on the N55. I could be wrong, but why would BMW reserve the N54 for the 'performance models' if that weren't the case?
Do you really think VALVETRONIC is cheap to produce? CAFE? Yes, definitely. Putting a better engine/tranny combo together to reduce fuel consumption by up to 10% is for sure an advantage for CAFE and for BMW marketing and communication. But cost, I highly doubt it. And stock for stock, these two engines are almost the exact same.

Also, if you think cost is the reason, why would BMW keep the N54 in the new 740i? The explanation makes sense; BNW us keeping the N54 for high-performance applications (740i (not high-performance car, but high-performance application), 335iS, Z4 iS).

I don't see why you think mapezzul's explanation is untrue.
Appreciate 0