04-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #3063
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
All this talking about computer configurations has me wondering, as I do about once a year, how much benefit I would get from upgrading my desktop.
OC'd Q6600 @3.5GHz, 8GB Ram. Primary usage is photo editing in CS5 and raw conversions in DPP.

The machine's almost 6 years old now, so you'd think it'd be a dinosaur well ready for replacement, but straight CPU frequency and memory capacity haven't increased that much so I'm wondering how much an upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor and maybe 12-16GB of DDR3 would really buy me. (Yes, I've looked at the usual benchmarks, but I'm just looking for seat of the pants impressions from folks like me who grind through a bunch of photos). Even with my current machine I rarely wait on CS5, but RAW conversions are another story - particularly with the new DLO module in DPP 3.11.10.
an SSHD might be a good starting point. Beyond that, it really depends what you're looking for. My PC is just an old clunker, but it's still faster then most of the laptops out today, in fact, my PC is the reason I went through a lot of laptops. No matter what I did, I couldn't find something that could keep up with it, even though it's old.

I finally did find a laptop that could keep up with my PC and now it's making my PC look like a dinosaur.

I'd say have the upgrade to do, is SSHD The thinking time is next to nothing. And as Dave has pointed out, grab yourself a USB3 card and external drive. It's dramatic how fast they actually go.
Appreciate 0