View Single Post
      07-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaskell View Post
The caliper has a anchor plate that bolts to the back of the "suspension knuckle" (BMW calls it the swivel bearing). According to the BMW TIS, you remove the caliper and the anchor plate as a unit. The torque for these two M12x1.5 bolts is 110 Nm and they are to be replaced with new ones upon reassembly. The two 10mm allen bolts have a locking agent on them and I imagine are designed to be permament (Real OEM shows the caliper and backing plate as a unit).

I looked all this up because I am going to change out my OEM struts for some Koni FSD struts and you drop the swivel bearing and strut as a unit to access the strut for replacement.

http://www.bmwtis.com/
Thanks for the DIY post guys -- I just used this technique to replace my brakepads with Hawk Performance Ceramics. I plan to test them on the track with the AD08s this Friday. I know these are not track pads; but, this is not my track car and they have to be better then the stock pads plus I can already tell the dust is greatly reduced.

On the side of track pads. Because I ran out of time I replaced the front pads on the 911 with HT14s since the vendor was out of HT10s. I wish I had done that sooner. The balance with this setup is phenomenal. It was recommended on the Hawk site; but, now I wish I hadn't resisted it so long. Now it makes the way forward for track pads for this car less clear.

Appreciate 0