Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Great write up Pete!

Have you ever driven a 997 gt2? It reminded me a bit more of the character of the 1m. Much higher levels of everything but you could get the back end to step out with a good stomp on the go pedal. I am shocked by how much of a depreciation hit the gt2s took. 200k cars selling for $120 with just a few thousand miles on them. Why do you think the RS has appreciated so much while the Gt2 hasn't? It was pretty dam limited too
I've never driven a 997 GT2, but I have competed in a modified 996 GT2 tuned to similar power. It's certainly less over-tired than the GT3, and likes to hold a slip angle. However I find those antics much less accessible in a GT2 compared to a 1M- there is more turbo lag so it's harder to judge, the limits are higher, and once the back end does break loose there is a lot of momentum behind it. All of this conspires to make me really respect the GT2's back end, even though when it does come out it's been very progressive and controllable (only on good on good tires- on bad ones it's an ax murderer I'm sure). Meanwhile when the 1M plays similar games the stakes are so much lower, and it's much easier to win.

As for the GT2's value, I have a few theories.

First, the GT2's value is pulled down by the 996/ 997 Turbos. Turbos are heavy, complex GT cars, as opposed to sports cars, and hence are not prized as drivers tools and depreciate accordingly. But speaking of a deal, you can pick up a used, chipped 996 turbo for $ 40k that will walk all over most modern sports cars. You can then pull stuff out of it by doing a 2wd conversion, etc, and essentially have a budget GT2, so it's tough for the GT2 to justify a hugely higher price.

Second, the 996 GT2s had a deserved reputation for trying to kill their drivers. The factory will admit there was something not quite right with the rear end, and while this can be cured with setup a justified stigma arose that the car was an angry doberman that could turn on you. The 997 was hugely improved, but so few were built and used as designed that I think the reputation remains.

Finally I'm not sure about the use case for the GT2, given how fast the GT3 is. Back road I'd personally take the GT3- it sounds better and the throttle response makes it that bit more engaging. It's also more precise and hence more fun, the extra speed of the GT2 just insuring you'd arrive at the next corner too quickly. Ditto at the autocross. Freeway or anywhere straight I'd take the GT2, but I do like my license and I'm getting a bit mature for that. Track day it's a tossup, but I think most would take the GT3 for precision- sure it's slower, but that probably just means your stuck behind traffic less.

All of this conspires to make the GT3 the car I'd take more of the time, and I think prices reflect that. But I agree the GT2 is under rated and a bit of a deal. It's just a shame that so few drivers have the talent to truly use them- Mark Webber has a GT2 RS, I'm sure that's a fun ride to work.