02-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #20
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
I have the DCT, and I have experienced oil leaking from the cover on the pax side of the unit. If you have a leak here, the transmission has to be removed to replace a couple of dollars gasket. This may also be true for the mechatronic seal. In any case, this was a 9 hour job done under warranty. I'd hate to get the bill for this without a warranty. In fact, this was the main reason I got the extended warranty.

The DCT isn't reparable at least by a BMW dealer. The unit has to be replaced, price $10K and ordered from the homeland. I exercise gentle treatment of the unit.

I change the engine oil once a year, and at the same time, I remove the cover and examine the DCT for leaks. So far so good. I also check the engine's pan for leaks at the same time.

Don't believe BMW's propaganda about a Lifetime fill. Pentosin, the maker of the DCT's oil, recommends doing a flush and changing the fluid in it around 50K. It also involves changing two filters. One in the pan and one on the driver's side. This isn't a simple drain & fill, since the oil level has to be checked at a certain temperature, 40C. Problem is I don't know who can do it! BMW won't.

So in short, treat it with the utmost respect, or suffer the consequences!
I took my car to a local indie closer to home for an inspection just before my CPO expired to ensure I had no issues (I was thinking OFHG and wanted any known issue covered by the CPO). The engine was dry, but they discovered a seep on my DCT pan.

I took it to the nearest dealer in Charlotte and they took care of it for me under warranty. They struggled to find someone that was qualified and willing to do the work, but in the end, one of the techs stepped up.

They were originally going to do an in car repair (mechatronix valve body, oil, gasket, pan, bolts) until I asked if replacing the valve body would affect the mechatronix seal. They then did a trans out job and replaced the mechatronix seal as well.

Best $50 I ever spent.

Last edited by Tenspeed; 02-27-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0