08-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #21
alvarogd
Spain
Rep
Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Fluids to be Flushed...

1) Differential Flush - change 2K miles and then every 30K miles (SAF-XJ 75w140 GL5)
2) Transmission Flush - change every 50K miles (ZF LifeGuard6(auto) or MTF-LT4 for manual trans N54 or LT5 for N55's)
3) Coolant Flush - change every five years (BMW Coolant)
4) Brake Flush - change every year or two (DOT4 or DOT4+)

(if any others please list)

Power Steering fluid - change every four years or so. ATF-III or CHF-11S (look on your PS res cap for which fluid to use)
change oil and filter every 5 to 8K miles. Only use a BMW LL-1 approved oil

and other things to change...

change pollen micro filter every year and wiper blades (at least)every year.
change spark plugs every 45K for no tune or every 25K with a tune.

PS: Many of us (including myself) use Redline ATF D4 (or some use D6(thinner for colder climates)for my manual trans) Some guys use MT90 or MTL for really warm/hot climates. I like to use R.L.'s ATF-D4 though.
Hi,
I'm new here. I've been reading this morning lots of threads and posts about the oil (engine, trans and diff)
I'm not sure about which ones I need.

I own a 2005 130i manual transmission and live in southern Europe, southern Spain, in Málaga. So the weather is over 10ºC the whole year and summers over 30ºC it's normal. Just bought it with 144.000km (i think this is 90k miles) and want to do a flush of all the fluids, because I really don't know what the previous owners have done.

I will use it as daily car and try to get to the track once or twice a year (I've got myself an mx5 for trackdays)

I've been reading that the correct oil for the trans is BMW MTF-LT5. Many bimmers use Redline ATF-D4 or D6. For the weather conditions I have here (close to Ascari track, for more info) should I use D4 insted?
Also red that Redline MTL is ok, so this or ATD-D4 should be one of my choices. No difference?
( three quarts for the trans ?? )

For the diff I could use Redline 75w90 GL5 or MTL90 ?
( two quarts for the diff fluid ?? )

I just red here that the Coolant should be "BMW Coolant", how many quarts or litres ?

For the brakes, can I use DOT 5.1 instead? I'm a noob but I get myself into trackdays and i think this 5.1 works better with high temps.

Engine oil could be Mobil1 0W-40? Are 7 quarts enough ?

I have recently change the pollen micro filter and I will check the spark plugs.

Also, any good (cheap) online oils shop for European bimmers ? Best in € not £. Because I can't get my hands on Redline in Spain, only UK.

Thanks !!!

PS.- Shall I introduce myself in other sub-forum ?
Appreciate 0