Thread: No 128i Love :(
View Single Post
      08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #282
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

One of the things I was a little worried about on the 128i is the aluminum block without cylinder liners. I found out that larger BMWs had that sort of block for some time and that Porsche uses the same material in 911s and Boxter/Cayannes and I relaxed enough to give it a try. But I think characterizing it as soft or inferior is just not accurate. If Porsche uses it in a 911, it is not an inferior way to make an engine. The new N20 is also aluminum cylinders without a liner but it gets a sprayed on coating. The N20 is, of course, turbo charged.

The N54 and N55 use an older, more proven, method of putting a cast iron sleeve in an aluminum block. That is not a perfect way to make a motor either. Sleeves move sometimes. Heat transfer is inhibited by the sleeve to block connection. Blocks are heavier when made this way. I like "old school" that I am sure works but it is not necessarily better than newer ways of doing things.

I get tired of people suggesting 128s are bought by non enthusiasts or people without enough money for a 135 or bigger BMW. If that was totally true there would not be a Sport and M-Sport package for the 128s. I could have paid cash for any BMW. I did not feel like I wanted a turbo motor nor did I feel like I wanted a 13 second quarter mile car. If I have the power, sooner or later I will use it on a city street. A 15 second (really high 14) car is fast enough for me. I like the fact I have to shift properly to get maximum performance.

The thing 135 drivers have to get over is that not everybody wants a faster car with a turbo motor. It is not necessarily that they couldn't buy one, in my case it was not what I wanted. I'll probably have to buy a turbo car someday but I didn't have to or want to this time.

Jim