08-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Anybody read the report in the latest Motor Magazine? Lot of complaints about 1M's on the limit, but still the fastest lap time................mind you, it wasn't up against much.

Hoping the coilovers might help settle things down a bit?!
The limit is pretty high. Bear in mind that all of those European after market suspensions ( Bilstein - Eibach - KW - Ohlin$ ) are tuned on Billiard table smooth European roads.

I've had Eibach springs on for a month now and they have certainly added some confidence to the handling. The ride is firmer but slightly less jarring than stock.
In my humble and amateur suspension analysis I'd say most of the trouble is in the rear, that the stock compression damping is too firm, the rebound is too light and the stock springs are too harsh / not progressive enough in their initial travel. I suspect that when the suspension becomes loaded the too light rebound doesn't control the decompression, the rear gets a little floaty and look out we are swapping ends. The front end is controllable but will push under partial load. It seems to prefer either cornering under brakes or strongly on the power. Trailing or leading throttle will see understeer ( I'm talking track speeds ). I've tried all sorts of tyre pressures but I suspect that the afore mentioned suspension traits and the basic configuration, i.e. short wheelbase / wide track is what we are dealing with here. As it comes it's a better road car than a track car IMO. The opposite of the M3 I guess.

Then again, maybe my driving is really shite and I have an utter lack of knowledge about suspension tuning.

Last edited by gazz; 08-15-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0