View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Dackel, my balls were getting purple and then you post that EDC button; cruel man ;-)

While having plenty of time between angry rants about US 1M allocations and waiting for order confirmation, I started researching this thread's title. Most encouraging at that point was that WDS showed that the E82 was electrically prepared for EDC (see attach1)

What I consider a minor disadvantage of BMW's EDC (made by ZF/Sachs) is that once activated (comport or sport), the power consumption is steady at 0.9 and 1.8 amps. The tech guy at KW for instance, claimed that their switch of setting draws power only during the switching between settings (TBC). As per OP, I'd be very interested to check the signal characteristics on anybodies EDC equipped car, but even more on the 'this is how I did it' or even better: the DIY version of this thread.

More importantly I tried to research the specs of the dampers and their settings themselves. So far I only have the 3M competition EDC curves with the 1M together and I have yet to continue chasing KW for their DDC curves. the M3 ZCP EDCs show that for the rear that 1M rebound is mostly equal to the firmest EDC setting, ie besides neatly increasing the turn-in resistance from the front dampers, with EDC you'll add mostly comfort for the rear axle (Ha:rear, VA:front, 1kN per horizontal line, Max speed is 1m/s, in the HA graph "EDC I=0A" and " =0.9A" lines are switched).

The readily available aftermarket KW DDC, is a meanwhile greatly valued low entry product (compared to EDC DIY). However an API to allow for DIY mobile programming of damper behavior related to all canbus available sensor data (break, steer, throttle, speed, gyro) is still a gap in the market for me; Com'on KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, who's first?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WDS E82 EDC Module Power Wiring Diagram.pdf (63.7 KB, 694 views)

Last edited by eeghie; 02-21-2013 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0